"NOW THAT I’M SAVED, HOW HAVE I CHANGED?"
But God has revealed it to us by Spirit. The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God. The man without the Spirit does not accept the thing that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolish to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned(1Cor. 2:10, 14)
God has mobilized all his plans on heaven and on earth to save his people. He took on flesh (Jn1:14), shed His blood, resurrected, ascended to heaven, and even now watches over us through the Holy Spirit. Even so, the majority of the people don’t know what salvation means.
1. WHAT ARE THE WRONG VIEWS OF SALVATION (things that are not salvation)?
(1) Incorrectly think that having a religion brings salvation (Jn 3:1-10). Religion was made by man; therefore, it is not the gospel. There is the good motive of doing good works but not only can the unsaved not do good but the good deeds of one whose spirit is dead cannot be considered good (Jn.3:1-10). (It is the same as all the things a pirate does is for the sake of piracy).
John 3:1-10 There was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews. 2 This man came to Jesus by night and said to Him, "Rabbi, we know that You are a teacher come from God; for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him." 3 Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God." 4 Nicodemus said to Him, "How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?" 5 Jesus answered, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. 6 "That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. 7 "Do not marvel that I said to you, 'You must be born again.' 8 "The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit." 9 Nicodemus answered and said to Him, "How can these things be?" 10 Jesus answered and said to him, "Are you the teacher of Israel, and do not know these things?
(2) Think that salvation is enrolling and attending church. It is like what Jesus spoke of in Matthew 12:43-45, it is just become a burdensome load of suffering that gives no benefit.
Matthew 12:43-45 When an unclean spirit goes out of a man, he goes through dry places, seeking rest, and finds none. 44 "Then he says, 'I will return to my house from which I came.' And when he comes, he finds it empty, swept, and put in order. 45 "Then he goes and takes with him seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter and dwell there; and the last state of that man is worse than the first. So shall it also be with this wicked generation.
(3) Think that diligence is the measure of salvation. Do you remember the zeal of the Pharisees? Do you know the zeal of Buddhists? The result of this zeal is only emptiness and failure (disappointment). .
(4) Misunderstand that salvation can be gained through strong convictions (philosophies). These convictions bring ridiculous results and when you are alone, you have no choice but to feel like a failure.
(5) Think that salvation can be gained by memorizing and reciting scriptures, religious chants and by praying. These produce only temporary, external change, never inner change. In Matthew 11:28-30, Jesus explains the solution and invites those suffering under “religious” living to come to Him (Mat.11:28-30).
Matthew 11:28-30 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 "Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 "For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.
2. THEN, WHAT IS THE STATE OF BEING SAVED?
(1) There is inner (spiritual) change.
(2) The state of salvation means that the Holy Spirit dwells within you and controls you.
(3) Romans 8:2 says life is the Holy Spirit. John 3:3-5 says you cannot enter Kingdom of God unless you are born again by water and the Holy Spirit.
Romans 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death.
(4) John 14:16-17 says the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of Truth, can neither leave you nor be cast out from you..
John 14:16-17 And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever -- 17 "the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you.
(5) When you understand the indwelling of the Holy Spirit:
① Romans 8:2, 4, 9 says the Holy Spirit meets the requirements of salvation and fulfills the law.
Romans 8:4,9 that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His.
② You come to know God’s will, blessing, and grace (1 Cor 2:10-14),
1 Corinthians 2;10-14 But God has revealed them to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God.11 For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God. 12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God. 13 These things we also speak, not in words which man's wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual. 14 ¶ But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
③ You come to know that you are temple of God (1 Cor 3:16).
1 Corinthians 3:16 Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?
④ The Holy Spirit fixes the things that are incorrect (Gal5:16-18)
Galatians 5:16-18 I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.
⑤ The Holy Spirit guides you because you are weak (Jn 14:26-27)
John 14:26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.
⑥ He leads you in peace (Jn 14:27).
John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
⑦ He answers prayers (Rom 8:26).
Romans 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
⑧ He works out all things for the good (Rom 8:28).
Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to Hispurpose.
3. HOW CAN YOU ENTER INTO THIS STATE OF SALVATION?
(1) To dwell in Jesus is to have the life of Jesus in you.
(2) This means being born of water and the Spirit (be born from above).
(3) There is only one way (Jn 3:14-16).
John 3:14-16 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, 15 "that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life. 16 ¶ "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
4. THERE ARE FOUR CHANGES FOR THOSE WHO HAVE THIS LIFE (THE HOLY SPIRIT).
(1) Spiritually, your family registry changes. (Jn 8:44, →1 Jn3:2, Jn 5:24).
John 8:44 You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it.
1 John 3:2 Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is.
John 5:24 Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.
(2) Your status changes (Rom 6:17 → Rom 6:22) .
Romans 6:17 But God be thanked that though you were slaves of sin, yet you obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine to which you were delivered.
Romans 6:22 But now having been set free from sin, and having become slaves of God, you have your fruit to holiness, and the end, everlasting life.
(3) Your state of your spiritual and physical life changes (Eph 2:1 → Eph 2:5).
Ephesians 2:1 And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins,
Ephesians 2:5 even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved),
(4) The guidance in your life changes (Eph 2:2 → Gal 5:18)
Ephesians 2:2 in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience,
Galatians 5:18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.
5. HOW DOES GOD GUIDE THOSE WHO HAVE THIS LIFE?
(1) He will never abandon you, but will guide and sanctify you to the end (Jn 14:16, 26, Gal 5:16-18)
(2) No one can destroy those who have this life. Let’s confirm Rom 8:31-39.
Romans 8:31-39 What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32 He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things? 33 Who shall bring a charge against God's elect? It isGod who justifies. 34 Who is he who condemns? It is Christ who died, and furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us. 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? 36 As it is written: "For Your sake we are killed all day long; We are accounted as sheep for the slaughter." 37 Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. 38 For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, 39 nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
6. Healing – Narcotics, Cocaine, all types of drugs
(1) Spiritual healing (Acts 1:4-8, 1 Cor. 2:10, 1 John 2:20-27, Acts 1:8)
Acts 1:8 But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.
(2) Physical healing (blood, blood vessels)