"PRAYER IS A SPIRITUAL SCIENCE" Luke 11:5-13, 18:1-8
Luke 11:5-13 And He said to them, "Which of you shall have a friend, and go to him at midnight and say to him, 'Friend, lend me three loaves; 6 'for a friend of mine has come to me on his journey, and I have nothing to set before him'; 7 "and he will answer from within and say, 'Do not trouble me; the door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot rise and give to you'? 8 "I say to you, though he will not rise and give to him because he is his friend, yet because of his persistence he will rise and give him as many as he needs. 9 " So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.10 "For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. 11 "If a son asks for bread from any father among you, will he give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent instead of a fish? 12 "Or if he asks for an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? 13 "If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!"
Because God is Almighty, He listens to your prayers and answers them. As sinners, we cannot request our prayers to God. So when we pray in the name of Jesus, who is without sin, God answers (John 16:24)
1. WHY ARE THESE ANSWERS WHEN UNBELIEVERS PRAY?
(1) All religions have formal (liturgical) prayer or the act of prayer.
① Why are there answers to prayers offered to beasts?
② Why are there answers to prayers offered to rocks or trees?
③ Why are there answers to prayers offered to papers, drawings, or photographs?
④ Why are there answers to prayers offered to boxes, hand-made idols, or god-dwelling dishes?
⑤ Why do leaders of particular religions have powers? The answer is found in 1 Corinthians 10:20 and Matthew 24:11.
1 Corinthians 10:20 Rather, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice they sacrifice to demons and not to God, and I do not want you to have fellowship with demons.
Matthew 24: 11 Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many.
(2) Non-believers unconditionally get answers to prayers, but whether it was good or bad, after its purpose is served failure comes.
(3) When God’s child prays, God answers in three ways.
① In most cases, the answers comes immediately in the way it was prayed.
② God says, “No” if it is unbeneficial or unnecessary.
③ Sometimes God answers your prayers with something even better than what you had asked for. This is because God desired to bless His people.
2. WHO CAN RECEIVE GOD’S ANSWERS (CONDITIONS)?
(1) Only God's child can receive answers (John 1:12).
John 1:12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name:
(2) Pray in Jesus’ name (John 16:24).
John 16:24 Until now you have asked nothing in My name. Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full.
(3) Receive answers by confessing your sins (Psalms 66:18).
Psalm 66:18 If I regard iniquity in my heart, The Lord will not hear.
(4) He answers those who pray with faith (Luke 11:5-12).
(5) He answers those who pray patiently to the end (Luke 18:1-8).
Luke 18:1-8 Then He spoke a parable to them, that men always ought to pray and not lose heart, 2 saying: "There was in a certain city a judge who did not fear God nor regard man. 3 "Now there was a widow in that city; and she came to him, saying, 'Get justice for me from my adversary.' 4 "And he would not for a while; but afterward he said within himself, 'Though I do not fear God nor regard man, 5 'yet because this widow troubles me I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary me.' " 6 Then the Lord said, "Hear what the unjust judge said. 7 "And shall God not avenge His own elect who cry out day and night to Him, though He bears long with them? 8 "I tell you that He will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless, when the Son of Man comes, will He really find faith on the earth?"
(6) Receive answers as the Holy Spirit gives thought, hearts and wisdom (Phil 4:6-7).
Philippians 4:6-7 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
3. THERE ARE THINGS THAT GOD’S CHILD SHOULD BE CAREFUL OF WHEN PRAYING.
(1) Not “my will be done” but “Your perfect will be done.”
(2) Not “by my plan” but “by Your great plan.”
(3) Not “my circumstance” but “God's hidden plan.”
(4) Not “a heart of vengeance” but “a heart of forgiveness.”
(5) With an attitude of submission to God’s will.
4. PRAYER IS A “SPIRITUAL SCIENCE.”
(1) When you pray, the Holy Spirit works (Luke 11:3, Matt 12:28).
Luke 11:3 "If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!"
(2) When the Holy Spirit works, the force of evil spirits are bound (Matt 12:28-29).
Matthew 12:28-29 But if I cast out demons by the Spirit of God, surely the kingdom of God has come upon you. 29 "Or how can one enter a strong man's house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man? And then he will plunder his house.
(3) When the Holy Spirit works, God’s powerful angels are mobilized to carry out God’s work
① Hebrews 1:14 Are they not all ministering spirits sent forth to minister for those who will inherit salvation?
② Revelations 8:3-5 Then another angel, having a golden censer, came and stood at the altar. He was given much incense, that he should offer it with the prayers of all the saints upon the golden altar which was before the throne. 4 And the smoke of the incense, with the prayers of the saints, ascended before God from the angel's hand. 5 Then the angel took the censer, filled it with fire from the altar, and threw it to the earth. And there were noises, thunderings, lightnings, and an earthquake.
③ Daniel 10:10-20 Dan.10:10-13 Suddenly, a hand touched me, which made me tremble on my knees and on the palms of my hands. 11 And he said to me, "O Daniel, man greatly beloved, understand the words that I speak to you, and stand upright, for I have now been sent to you." While he was speaking this word to me, I stood trembling. 12 Then he said to me, "Do not fear, Daniel, for from the first day that you set your heart to understand, and to humble yourself before your God, your words were heard; and I have come because of your words. 13 "But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me twenty-one days; and behold, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me, for I had been left alone there with the kings of Persia.
(4) From this point your surroundings begin to change (Esther 4:14)
Esther 4:14 For if you remain completely silent at this time, relief and deliverance will arise for the Jews from another place, but you and your father's house will perish. Yet who knows whether you have come to the kingdom for such a time as this?"
(5) God sends people of answers to you (Acts 10:1-19)
① Genesis 18:2-15 (Abraham)
② 1 Kings 19:5-7 (Elijah)
③ 2 Kings 6:13-17 (Elisha)
④ 2 Kings 20:1-10 (Hezekiah)
⑤ Acts 1:10-11
⑥ Acts 5:19-20, 10:1-4, 12:1-10
⑦ Revelations 1:1-20
5. Healing – Incurable disease, Cancer
(1) Assurance of Salvation
(2) Work of the Holy Spirit
(3) Work of Satan
(4) Healing – Scheduled prayer (the filling of the Holy Spirit), continuous prayer (physical problem)
(5) Nutrition, medicine is God’s blessing too.
(6) Solution of spiritual problem; spiritual power is important.